Updated: Mar 9, 2018
If you are feeling stuck or bored, here are some ideas to pull out of the "Funk"!
Want some ideas? Here are easy ways on how to make life more exciting.
1. Make room.
It's hard to add excitement to your life if your life is overflowing with mindless tasks and chores. Can you simplify, delegate, or eliminate any of these boring and mindless tasks to make room for excitement? Sometimes we fill our lives with these things in order to avoid stretching ourselves toward happiness. Is that you?
2. Shake up your morning routine. Instead of following the same wake-up routine every day, do it differently on occasion. Get up ten minutes early and have breakfast outside. Turn off the TV and put on music. Make love before work. Drive a different way. Just starting your day differently will give you a little thrill.
3. Be the host. Take the initiative to entertain, and invite friends or family over for dinner or something different — like a wine tasting or game night.
4. Move your furniture. Rearrange or redecorate a room, switching things up enough that it feels new and different.
5. Go cheer. Attend a competitive, fast-paced sporting event like tennis, basketball, or racing where the energy and excitement of the sport is contagious.
6. Get a makeover. Get a new haircut, have your make-up done by a pro, buy a new outfit, or try a new style. It's even more fun if you do this with a friend.
7. Cut a rug. Now wear that new outfit or haircut to go out to a dance club — or just dance at home with great music and friends.
8. Find exciting people. Look around at people you know whose lives seem interesting and exciting. Take the initiative to get to know them so that you can be included in some of their excitement.
9. Plan an adventure trip. Even if you can't afford to take a trip now, just researching, planning, and dreaming can give you a boost and build excitement for the time when you can afford to go. Include saving money as part of your planning!
10. Learn something new. Study a new language, a new skill, a hobby. You will open doors to meeting new people who share your interests and abilities and gain a sense of confidence and achievement.
11. Shake up your sex life. Be adventurous. Read the Kama Sutra. Join the Mile High Club. Find a new location. Just do it.
12. Get out of the house. Step away from the TV or computer and do something. Take a walk with a friend. Go to the bookstore and browse. Visit a local gallery or museum.
13. Go on a weekend excursion. Plan a fun getaway for 2-3 days for some outdoor or indoor adventure. REI offers a variety of adventure travel including some great weekend getaways if you want some ideas.
14. Test drive a sports car. Ok, so you may not be able to buy one, but that doesn't mean you can't try it out. Go take a spin behind the wheel of your favorite car.
15. Arrange a secret rendezvous. Surprise your beloved with a romantic evening or overnight hotel stay.
16. Try an unusual recipe. Cook something that you've never tried before or order something unusual at a restaurant that you wouldn't normally try.
17. Read an adventure novel or thriller. Enjoy your excitement vicariously through a juicy, good book.
18. Go to a comedy club or mystery dinner theater. Have an exciting evening of laughs or thrills to shake up your routine weekend.
19. Write down your life vision. Spend some time thinking about your ideal life filled fun, excitement and adventure. Write down your vision and the actions you could take to get yourself there.
20. Adopt a pet. This is excitement plus responsibility, so be sure you are ready for both. A pet (especially a puppy) will be great company and provide fun opportunities to meet other pet people.
21. Go to a rock concert. Get tickets to your favorite band and take your favorite person to listen to some body-moving music.
22. Go skinny dipping. Night time is best if you don't want the excitement of an arrest. Find a pool or a hot tub, strip down, and bring a loved one. Add a bottle of champagne for even more excitement.
23. Try a random act of kindness. Do something unexpectedly nice for a friend or a complete stranger. Pay for someone's coffee. Send balloons. Leave a love note.
24. Be curious about people. Ask people (old and new friends) questions about their lives. Learn what other people do and what makes them tick. You might discover something intriguing about them and yourself.
25. Don't wait. Don't wait to try something, to initiate, to take action. Stop playing it safe or looking for someone else to take the lead. Be a creative creator of your life. You can make it as exciting and thrilling as you wish.
26. Host a Gathering or Party. People ask all the time about where they can go to meet people. If you initiate a gathering (potluck style) it doesn't have to be expensive. I used to make soup for 30 people and it was delicious and fun. Its amazing how many people you can feed with soup.
27. Call an Old Friend. If you feel alone, just pick up the phone and call an old friend. I am sure they will be very happy to hear from you.
28. Do that one big thing. Is there one big action you've been holding back on that could turn your life from boring to amazing? Maybe it's a job change, a move, a proposal, a change of scenery, a new relationship in your life. Whatever it is, take the first step. Action creates momentum, and momentum builds excitement.
For the most part, an exciting life doesn't happen to you. (And when it does, it may not be the kind of excitement you want!) You need to find ways to jazz up your life in small ways by shifting your perspective — and changing some of your daily actions.
Small and fresh change can enliven you and create a new and exciting outlook on life